Vote for America's future. Vote Green.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

My first music review

I know I've ranted about politics, entertainment, sports, and the fucking RIAA, but I recently had the opportunity to borrow a CD many of you may have never even heard of before: "Cristal: Glass Music Through the Ages" by Dennis James. This is a selection of various classical compositions performed with glass instruments, many, but not all, of which use that with other instruments and even vocals. My personal favorites were the Song from Garry Eister's "Quintet for Glass and Strings," the Traditional Irish Lullaby, Mozart's Adagio in C Major, K. 356, and several others, though it was difficult to choose a favorite. Honestly, I liked the ones without vocals more, but that's just a matter of personal taste. The first time I listened to this CD, I was brought to tears by the depth, emotion, and beauty of the music. For what it's worth, I give my highest possible recommendation of this CD to anyone with an appreciation of classical music, even though this is distributed by those bastards at Sony.

This music review is also a request for assistance. If anyone knows any other good CDs that feature glass instruments, I'm very interested in finding out what they are. Thanks. :)

1 comment:

Snave said...

Wow, that sounds like a very cool recording! Sadly, I don't know of any others... but I might just have to check out the Crissal!