Vote for America's future. Vote Green.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

An apology...

I'm sorry I haven't posted in two weeks. Real life has been crazy, and as a result, I've been exhausted most of the time. Also, frankly, I haven't had all that much to say. I have lurked at some of your websites, even pitched in a comment or two, but I've basically put myself on light blog duty. If I haven't commented on your sites recently, that's in no way any indication of a lessening of my opinion of you; I just haven't had anything new, interesting, or bizarre to add. This brings to mind the question of what I have thought as I've been looking at the goings on of the world lately, so I'll share a few thoughts.

President Bush: Although he was more than a bit late, I was glad to hear him talking so seriously about alternative fuels and flex-fuel vehicles, though I wish he would've at least mentioned biodiesel and basic research into batteries to extend the range of hybrid vehicles. Furthermore, I applaud his decision to stop adding to the strategic petroleum reserves, as that measure only served to further inflate the already extreme gas prices. He's even called for an investigation of the oil companies' prices and their profits. Perhaps if he'd've said something similar, oh, say five years ago and actually listen to his generals and admirals about Iraq and hire a Secretary of Defense who would listen to his generals and admirals, his approval rating wouldn't be quite so far in the crapper.

Congress: What. The. Fuck!!! A $100 credit to help defray energy costs is the latest proposal, but is tied to a bill that would authorize drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve. I'll ignore the second issue for just a moment, and tackle the $100 credit proposal. Nevermind the fact that this would just add to our extreme national debt, a debt that must get under control for our nation's present and future, and that of our descendants, this is just stupid. Assuming gas prices of $3.00 a gallon, and a fuel tank of 11 gallons, that $100 would be three tanks of gas, not even a month's worth, for a good number of people. Going into the ANWR aspect of the debate, that would be akin to putting a bandage on a leg with a compound fracture. Not only would it take years to accomplish, it would also reduce the sense of urgency among some movers and shakers about switching to alternative fuels, thereby hindering the aim of achieving energy independence. At least the starting point for much of the basic research that will be necessary is here, but more must be done.

Iran: Iran is a net exporter of gasoline, but they're talking about enriching their own uranium. For over a generation, Iran has been a rogue nation and a sponsor of terrorism worldwide, and that was even true (though to a lesser extent) with their former, more moderate government. Their current president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, scares the everlasting hell out of me, and I have absolutely no doubts about the accuracy of acting Israeli Prime Minister Ohlmert's comments about Mr. Ahmadinejad's character. What an ugly mess...

In summary, if things don't change very soon, I may vote majority Democrat for the first time ever this coming November, though it's always been a bit of a close thing. It will all depend on the ideas presented by the candidates for the various offices and their character. To the Democrats who occasionally visit, this does not mean I'm becoming one of you. The strictures of membership in any political party really chafe, and I do not want to find myself tied to any leader out of a sense of loyalty to the party or the individual. Ultimately, our elected leaders are our employees, and as such, we should view their performance, their intentions once in office, and integrity as being of paramount importance, and if a leader in any party is a shit and proves himself or herself unfit to lead, get him or her out. I've seen party loyalists support candidates even they admitted were fairly detestable, and that's disgusting. All that said, enjoy the new name I've given my blog.

2 comments:

Snave said...

Fred, I know what you mean about running out of stuff to say. I can't even think of what I want to call my blog anymore... I mean, how much can I say about how much I like Bush than what I have already said. Maybe I need to start blogging about sci-fi movies or geocaching or electric pianos. Anyway, I do like your current blog title very much!

Bush: not completely in the crapper, but almost. I would agree with anyone who might suggest Bush undermined his presidency by allowing certain creeps to have too much free reign.

Congress: attaching the ANWR thing to the $100 checks is one of the most cynical ploys they've come with yet, as far as I'm concerned. "Not only would it take years to accomplish, it would also reduce the sense of urgency among some movers and shakers about switching to alternative fuels, thereby hindering the aim of achieving energy independence." You're right on!

Iran: their truly fearless leader scares the hell out of me too. Not sure what I'd do about that situation... I know I wouldn't try to invade them at this point in time, though, or probably anytime too soon.

"I've seen party loyalists support candidates even they admitted were fairly detestable, and that's disgusting." I'm ashamed to admit I have done this a few times. I think it's bad that we should be given candidates that make voting a chore rather than a pleasure.

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

I think the only way to ensure that we have candidates we can actually support and believe in is to demand that at the polls. Toss enough morons out of office, and I think the quality of the candidates will eventually rise. Do I think this has so much as a snowball's chance in hell of happening? Not in my lifetime.