Vote for America's future. Vote Green.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat Revealed: W. Mark Felt, Sr.

As a recovering Republican, I can certainly sympathize with paleoconservatives who kiss G. Gordon Liddy's ass and think Pat Buchanan is the second coming of Jesus H. Christ. Actually, I can't, because I don't think I've ever been quite that much of a stupid asshole. When I heard Mr. Liddy's statement that former Deputy Director of the FBI Felt was "honor-bound" to call a grand jury investigation instead of selectively leaking information, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. First, the only way Mr. Liddy knows the meaning of "honor" is by consulting any dictionary nearby, and second, we've all seen what happens when grand jury investigations are brought against a sitting president, or have you forgotten Bill Clinton's myriad scandals already? They go nowhere, at most very minor players are punished, and nothing really changes. What Nixon was doing to and with the FBI and other government entities was nothing less than nefarious at best, and, at worst, treating the government of the United States of America as his personal empire with a lack of regard bordering and often crossing over into contempt for the very Constitution he swore before God and millions of witnesses to protect. Desperate times call for truly desperate measures, and the times during which Richard Nixon was in office were among the most desperate times our great nation has ever faced, in no small part thanks to the man himself, though to be fair to Tricky Dick, he did inherit a huge shitstorm from his predecessors in Viet Nam. His family and closest colleagues, people who knew him for decades, have described him as a man of honor who would do whatever it takes to see that justice is served. Having been stifled by King Richard and seeing all sorts of crimes being committed, and possibly having a good sense of what would really come of a grand jury investigation being started against a sitting president, he did what he felt he had to do. For this, some may call him a rogue, a coward, a criminal of the worst sort. Me? I call him a hero in the truest, deepest sense of the word. I say this with my head held high and my heart full, "Thank you, Deputy Director Felt." And I hope that, were a similar situation were to recur, there may be others to follow your example.

No comments: