Vote for America's future. Vote Green.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

I hope you are all mad as hell at this.

I watched Dateline tonight, about the case of David Lemus and Olmedo Hidalgo. For a summation of the story, click here. Summed up even more succinctly, we have two guys who were proven to be nowhere near the scene of the crime imprisoned for 15 years, and two men who were guilty, neither of whom will ever see any time for that crime. Two of New York's finest police officers ended up resigning in disgust, as did an Assistant District Attorney who handled the reinvestigation into this crime for the Manhattan DA's office. Evidence was suppressed, and later ignored. Witnesses unfavorable to the prosecution were ignored and not reinterviewed. Other horrific examples of prosecutorial and police misconduct occurred, and two men lost a huge chunk of their lives as a result. Upon release, Mr. Hidalgo was put in cuffs by Homeland Security and deported to his native country, and Mr. Lemus is facing a retrial at the orders of the Manhattan District Attorney in October of this year.

I'm mad as hell. I'm furious that a system designed to protect and defend the innocent is so obviously and horribly broken. I'm sickened that, instead of striving to correct injustices, these two men and many more like them face a system more interested in preserving convictions than in insuring that justice, whatever that may be in a given case, is served. When I see these cases, I ask myself, "What if that man were my brother, or uncle, or cousin, or father? What if they were someone else I loved? What if that man were me?" In this case, I also ask myself what would have happened with these men were it not for the bravery and integrity of retired Detectives Bobby Addolorato and John Schwartz, men who brought far more honor to their offices than those who finally ended their careers. When faced with such men as Mr. Addolorato and Schwartz, our system should celebrate them, mourn their retirement, encourage them to continue doing what they did so well. This just makes me absolutely sick. I hope Mr. Lemus and Mr. Hidalgo sue those rat-fucking cocksuckers in New York City Hall for everything they have, and especially in the case of Mr. Lemus, I hope justice, delayed though it may be, is preserved. FUCK!

6 comments:

LET'S TALK said...

I was interested in this post and found the faces to said story. click here

This type of Justice is just unbelievable, but happens a lot in the Black and Latino communities. There is plenty of cases where this type of injustice can be found.

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

What bothers me isn't that I'm bothered by it. What bothers me is that so many "law and order" types, of which I was one as recently as two or three years ago, aren't outraged. I'm reasonably certain that it isn't just the Black and Latino communities that have this problem. Poor people, regardless of their race, are far less likely to be able to mount a vigorous defense against false charges, and as we saw in the Duke lacrosse hoax, even a vigorous defense isn't always enough to defend against rogue prosecutors. I'm no longer worried about Mike Nifong. I'm worried about Nancy Grace, whose actions while a prosecutor drew the wrath of an appellate court judge, and I'm worried about people just like Mike Nifong who are still on the public tit putting innocent people in prison just to improve their conviction rates and get reelected.

LET'S TALK said...

You make a very good point here. I completely forgot about the Duke lacrosse situation. As far as Nancy Grace is concerned, she's an attorney with a show that will say anything to get that show rated and it's just a tragedy that she caused death and hardship. She's from Georgia, so she had been known here way before the Court show and there was always a maverick side of her then.


I see now exactly where you are going with this and I agree, it's scary and if we continue to over look this type of justice, everyone would be prone to these type situations.

1138 said...

It's nothing new.
That doesn't make it any less reprehensible but look back through our history. Money walks.
The Duke thing was quite a bit different than this story, usually the rich kids get more than a fair shake.

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

Still, Paul, whenever politics and/or money get involved, everything tends to get even more fucked up than normal. Add in the issues of race and sex, combined with an utter lack of ethics on the part of very nearly 100 people I can think of and quite probably more, and you have the Duke situation. If anything good has come of this, it is that more eyes, including my own, were opened to exactly how screwed up our society and legal system have become.

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with your summary of Detectives Adolorato and Schwartz. I feel just as you do. Good for you for saying so well what needed to be said about these cops!!!